Salto!

Salto!
Rio Claro, Colombia

Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, June 18, 2010

Colombia

So many people asked me, "Why Colombia?". Isn't it dangerous there? You are going to get shot or even worse kidnapped? I got to thinking that this place has grown such a strong fear from Americans as well as people around the world. Even though I consider myself a well traveled American, began to believe that Colombia might be a "scary" place. So that is why I decided to start this adventure.

Upon leaving, I had clear intentions, to show others that Colombia is a place filled with magic, stories, people, colors and althetic adventures. So far after 2 weeks in Medellin, it has been amazing.

Welcome to Colombia. I am starting my journey in a town called Medellin (pronounced Med a jeen). A girlfriend of mine said she has a friend that lives there and he can help you out. So I go to Spirit Airlines and get a ticket for $150. Done. One thing that you might want to know about me is that I do not buy shoes until they are falling off my feet, but my impulse buys are about cheap plane tickets.

On the plane ride over, the guy sitting next to me in the exit row, engaged in deep conversation. We shared common experiences since we both had lived in Mexico we understood the current troubles. Mexico is goverened by coruption. Goverened by Presidente Fox, things remained stable. It was the "you leave us alone and we will leave you alone" mentality. However, with the change in power shook up the status quo of the 4 major cartels. The groups have grown too powerful to control and those that were hired to stop them, now join them with their own greed.



I wanted to start out with that update, because in the past the town that I am currently visiting was once completly controled by the powers of Medellin Cartel under the rule of Pablo Escobar. In my opinon, today the city is safe. Now that does not mean anyone visiting Colombia should leave their brain at home. Medellin is a clean, modern and hip city. They have a saying in Colombia - El unico Riesgo de Colombia, es que te quiera quedar (The only risk of Colombia is wanting to stay). Colombia is a beautiful country and should be on your list of places to see before you die.
.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great Shawna...keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete