Salto!

Salto!
Rio Claro, Colombia

Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Eating street food in Manizales

When traveling many are scared to try new food items, especially those found on the streets. Camilo, Andrew and I explored the wonders of the sweet tastes you find when venturing through Colombia. Playing tourist for the day with my Colombian friends was a treasure. I met Camilo and Andrew on the bus ride from Medellin to Manizales. I found out that Andrew owned a yoga studio where I later practiced different types of yoga. Camilo invited me to his "Juego de Luz" (Game of Light) expedition filled with spiritual light images. The Highlight?

Spending time with passionate individuals who love life and are making a difference in Colombia.




What to do in Manizales:

1. Eat street food in the city center while admiring all the amazing art littered through the city
2. Soak up the Boheiman atmosphere in Chipre
3.. Climb to the top of the Cathderal for a 360 degree view of the city
4. Meet a few locals, share stories, and watch Bollywood movies with Spanish subtitles while drinking Aromatica
5. Drink a cup of Juan Valdez coffee and write in your journal
6. Take a day to explore the Recimo de Pensimentos (Place of Thoughts) - a georgous green space just outside the city center
7. Eat breakfast or lunch in the Parque de Yarumos while you watch school groups practice rockclimbing, ropes courses or even participate in these things with friends,
8. Take a dip in the nearby hotsprings Termales Viva take the bus there as walking might be too dangerous... I speak from experience
9. Listen to a rock band in the heart of the city singing American songs with a Colombian accent
10. Join a weekly bike ride exploring the mile after mile of the beautiful coffee country


To top it all off, I was lucky enough to have met two of the most amazing guys in Manizales with whom I shared aromatica (raw sugar can with flavor), danced Salsa, and shared inappropriate jokes. These guys were like my brothers in Manizales and together we shared so many laughs that my stomach muscles hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment