Salto!

Salto!
Rio Claro, Colombia

Search This Blog

Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Kite surfing in Lago Calima

I thought I might be mad. After 2 buses, a taxi ride, I arrived in the middle of now where - but a place rich in one thing - wind! Lago Calima is the place that has constant wind and perfect for windsurfing and kitesurfing. New to both of these sports, I took a lesson and picked it up quite quickly. I stayed with Pescao windsurfing in a little tent with a mattress. If you are looking for something a bit more comfortable, I would recommend checking out the near-by hotel just up the road another mile. If you have a group and looking for luxury accommodations renting a finca is the way to go. Please make sure you invite me if you are going. The town is about 10 kilometers from the school and Luis (aka fish or pescado) drove me to dinner every night with his tricked out car for the handicap. In the morning I would swim to the other side of the lake a good 45 - hour swim but beautiful morning activity. The only reason to visit Lago Calima is for wind sports. Fortunately for me, I met the Colombian Champion in the sport. You are welcome to view the video from our interview. Camilo is inspiring others to seek out Colombia as an adventure destination especially in the windsurfing arena. He has a movie that explores the wonders of Colombia windsurfing at Windsurfing into the unknown. On the video, we also explore the windsurfing factory Cogua which makes hand-made custom boards. If wind sports are your passion, a trip to Lago Calima should be on your list.




A magical lake exists 2 hours from Cali, Colombia where the wind blows every afternoon making it the perfect destination for kite and wind surfers. Upon my arrival, I watched a windsurfing competion and talked to a few of fans. That night, my new friends Camilo and Titi went into town with Fish (the owner) in his tricked out car made for people in wheelchairs. We ate pizza and joked around in the car ride home. Again, I never know how much they are laughing at my silly Spanish translations or the fact that I can not understand the entire conversation - especially my new friends with a costal accent.

A simple accommodation in a tent with a mattress and food from the local cook. Each morning I would swim to the other side of the lake before breakfast. Kitesurfing at Lago Calima is amazing and perfect spot for wind sports. The only challenge I had was getting cold quickly.

Without many distractions, I had time to write in my journal, read my book and simply relax and enjoy watching the water. Life in Lago Calima is tranquil and perfect for wind sports and relaxing.

No comments:

Post a Comment